You've popped the question or said yes, and now it's time to plan your wedding. Let Martin Busch Jewelers help you start shopping for your wedding bands. Here's what you need to know.
What Types of Wedding Bands Can You Choose?
You'll have a range of options to consider when looking for the perfect wedding bands to represent the love your and your spouse-to-be feel for each other. Many details go into crafting unique wedding bands. Some aspects to think about include:
Your wedding band is meant to last a lifetime, so the metal you choose should stand up to everyday wear while offering timeless style you'll love for years to come. Common metals used for wedding bands include:
- Yellow gold.
- Rose gold.
- White gold.
You might also go with alternative metals like tungsten depending on your lifestyle and personal taste.
If you like the look of mixed metals, you could go with a braided band bringing different colors into one ring. You can also choose a different metal for a wedding band than the one used for an engagement ring if you enjoy that mixed-metal look.
You can add diamonds or other cut stones to make your wedding bands unique. Stones in wedding bands are usually smaller and more flush to the band's surface compared to engagement rings, as this allows for comfort with everyday wear.
If you do want stones as part of your wedding band design, you should keep this in mind when choosing the depth and width of the metal. These factors will influence whether you can embed cut stones into the ring.
Engravings offer another way of creating a personalized wedding band design. Some couples have each other's initials or their wedding date engraved in the band. Others may choose something more elaborate, such as a favorite quote or personal message.
Couples who want engraved wedding bands take a few different approaches. You might agree on the engravings with your partner when you select and order your wedding bands, or you can each compose a message that will be revealed when you exchange your rings. You can also add additional engravings to mark life events in the future, such as dates of milestones anniversaries. If you think you might want to do that, make sure you leave enough room on your inner bands.
Aspects to consider include the width of your wedding bands as well as the bands' thickness. Although traditionally, men's bands are wider than women's, there's so much room for customization to create your dream pairing. Once you pick your ideal width, start thinking about thickness. Thicker bands will need more space between fingers, so consider whether that will be comfortable for you.
Getting Custom Wedding Bands
Whether you already know what your dream wedding bands should look like or you need some help from experienced jewelers, getting custom wedding bands is a great way to create jewelry that truly captures your unique relationship. At Martin Busch Jewelers, we make the process of getting custom wedding bands simple and straightforward. You can design your own wedding bands online or in-person following a few easy steps:
- Designing the wedding bands: The Design team at Martin Busch Jewelers can bring your idea to life using computer-generated renderings. If you know you want a custom design but don't know where to start, we also have many samples to get your inspiration flowing.
- Creating a wax model: Before we create the ring itself, we will sculpt a wax model to replicate the concept of your design. That allows you to make any changes before the goldsmith starts casting the bands.
- Producing the rings: We'll cast your unique design and set any precious gemstones you choose to add. Then, we'll polish your new rings so they're perfect and ready to wear.
How Long Does It Take To Get Custom Wedding Bands Made?
Now, to answer the big question: When should you start shopping for your wedding bands? If you decide to get customized bands, you should leave at least three to five weeks for the entire process.
Your project's timeline can vary depending on how complex your design is and how many revisions you need. Custom projects can also sometimes be completed faster if you require the project to be completed by a set date.
It's a good idea to place your wedding band order at least a couple of months before your big day. That way, you'll have some extra time if you need to resize the rings or make any other changes.
Tips for Picking Out the Perfect Wedding Band
Wedding bands offer a beautiful celebration of your love. Here a few more tips and tricks to keep in mind when starting to shop for your wedding bands:
- You and your partner will likely wear these bands every day, so it's helpful to discuss design ideas as early as you can to get it right. However, you might want to purchase the engagement ring and wedding bands at the same time, especially if you plan to use the wedding bands as part of the wedding ceremony. If you want a ring to be a surprise, ask family or friends to covertly get style opinions!
- If you work with your hands, consider getting a stronger metal. Platinum or tungsten are both harder than classic white gold but offer a similar look.
- There's no rule that you and your partner need to agree on a style or metal. The key is finding something you love that reflects how your individual styles come together. If you want similar bands, you might consider a unisex option, try a braided band that blends metals you each love, or incorporate a similar element like a stone or finish.
- Start shopping early. It's easy to let wedding bands turn into an afterthought when you're caught up in the excitement of getting engaged and booking a venue. The more time you give yourself to decide what feels good and looks good, the more likely you are to choose a design that will stand the test of time.
Your wedding bands provide a symbol of your forever love, so you want to entrust the process to a jeweler that understands commitment. Martin Busch Jewelers has served our community for more than 60 years. We treat every customer like family, so you can rest assured we'll be there for you when you're starting your new family's journey. Contact us today to get started shopping for your wedding bands.